Saturday, April 19, 2008

We're home!

Well my post has been delayed; I had a lot of it saved as a draft but hadn't finished it to post yet. I'm also aggravated that blogger won't cooperate and load my pictures (it takes FOREVER!) But our trip was wonderful!! The first couple of days were a little rainy, but not in the sense of rain like Mississippi rain...just barely misting rain. So it wasn't bad at all, actually quite comfortable.

We stayed at the Westin Maui, which was extremely nice. It was so cool because the lobby was open-air; it only had a roof and a back wall. They had a waterfall and pool connected to the lobby that also connected to the swimming pools. There were flamingoes and swans in the pools near the water; it was really quite beautiful!

The day after we arrived, we rented a Hummer and drove the "Road to Hana" which has over 600 curves and 50 one-lane bridges. It takes you over two hours to drive about 40 miles. Crazy, huh? The scenery is gorgeous though; lots of rainforest vegetation, waterfalls, flowers, etc. On that drive, we stopped at a black sand beach which was pretty cool. I've only seen white sand beaches, never black! Their sand is different from ours though; it feels more like birdseed between your toes, haha. We had a picnic lunch that day and just enjoyed our time at different stop-offs.

The following morning, Jeffry took surfing lessons. He did so well! I was really proud of him. He said it was so tiring trying to fight the waves as you paddled back out, and then you only got a 15 second ride on the waves. He was exhausted by the time their lesson was over. I just sat on the rocks nearby and took photos. :) No surfing for me.

Aww, poor Jeff...

We took a helicopter ride one day, which was really incredible. A once in a lifetime experience. We also had a day trip to Oahu to visit the USS Arizona Memorial and to tour the USS Missouri. For those of you who don't know, the Arizona was torpedoed and went down in Pearl Harbor. Over 1100 men died in the ship. It was on the decks of the Missouri that the treaty to end WWII was signed. So we got to see the beginning of the war and the end of the war in the same trip. Pretty awesome. I have tons of pics of both of these trips but I'll have to add them later when I have a little more time.

I guess the worst thing about Hawaii is the time change and the flight over there. They are five hours ahead of us, so when it's 8am at home it's 3am in Hawaii. It takes some getting used to, to say the least. The first few days we woke up at 4 in the morning Hawaii time. And thankfully, we didn't receive any phone calls from home at bad times like a lot of our friends did, haha. The flight is just miserable, especially on the way home. Our flight was from Maui to Dallas, and it lasted eight hours. I think I slept about 45 minutes and that was only because my husband was nice enough to go stand somewhere for that long! Anyway, this post is forever long; I'll add more pics later!

No comments:

Post a Comment