Pages

Thursday, December 10, 2009

Cookie Exchange!



I was so excited when I saw that Jessica was planning on doing this cookie exchange! What a great idea. Seeing as how we live in the South, I decided to pick a recipe that is very "Southern"...Molasses cookies! Also, if I get time this afternoon, I'm going to come back and post my great-grandmother's teacake recipe. Also a very Southern cookie treat! Hope you enjoy these! They are great cookies for cookie cutters.

OLD FASHIONED MOLASSES COOKIES

1 cup sugar
1 cup shortening
2 cups molasses
1/2 teaspoon vanilla
2 eggs
1 cup sour cream
1 teaspoon ginger
1/2 teaspoon cloves
1 teaspoon cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon nutmeg
1/2 teaspoon salt
3 teaspoons baking soda
6 cups flour (or more)

Cream together sugar and shortening, add molasses, vanilla, sour cream, slightly beaten egg and spices. Dissolve baking soda in just enough hot water to mix; add to dough.

Stir in enough flour to make a soft dough, stirring just until combined.

Cover bowl and set dough aside for one hour in a cool place.

After 1 hour, roll dough out 1/4-inch thick, or slightly thicker, and cut with a large round cutter dipped into flour or cocoa before each cut. (Note: For fancy cutouts, add a little more flour to make a stiffer dough, making dough easier to handle).

Lift cut-out cookies gently with a spatula to a greased cookie sheet.

Bake in a preheated 350°F for about 15 minutes or until done.

Cookies should be soft inside.

6 comments:

  1. gosh, I love molasses cookies! YUM. Love that yours are cut-outs :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have a friend who loves molasses cookies, but hasn't found a recipe she likes. I'll be passing this along...or better yet, make them and surprise her! That gives me a good reason to finally try them! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yum! I love molasses cookies but have never actually made them myself. Think I'll be giving that a try now!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Those sound yummy! Thanks for sharing the recipe and for stopping by my blog today.

    ReplyDelete
  5. THese sound fabulous. Thanks for sharing. Merry Christmas.

    Blessings for a glorious "Holy Day" to celebrate the birth of the Newborn King!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Those sound fantastic! I will have to try them for sure.

    Your blog is adorable and your boys are so stinkin' CUTE!

    I'm praying for your MIL and family! Bless her heart, I hope she feels better soon.

    ReplyDelete